IOM is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society.
As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to:
- Assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management;
- Advance understanding of migration issues;
- Encourage social and economic development through migration;
- Uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
The Activities of IOM:
With 70 years of operative experience at the global level, IOM has become the leading international organization working with migrants and governments to provide humane responses to the challenges presented by migration.
Established in 1951 as an intergovernmental organization with the aim of assisting displaced persons, refugees and migrants in Europe, IOM has developed and broadened its scope to cover a wide range of actions oriented toward global migration management.
With offices and operations in every continent, IOM supports governments and civil society through the following actions:
- Rapid humanitarian response to sudden migration flows;
- Return and reintegration programmes in post-emergency situations;
- Assistance for migrants heading towards their new homes and lives;
- Labour migration possibilities;
- Assisted voluntary return for migrants with irregular migration status;
- Recruiting highly qualified nationals to return to their countries of origin;
- Assistance for stranded migrants;
- Training and capacity-building for government officials;
- Actions aimed at combating trafficking in persons;
- Programmes on migration health and public health;
- Information and education on migration;
- Research on migration management and other services for migrants.